Friday, July 27, 2012

Education Queensland vs Ministry of Education

Disclaimer: I am NOT an expert in this field or topic, neither have I had much experience in either. The following post is made solely on my own personal observations and experiences throughout my stay in both countries.

Education Queensland, Australia
Ministry of Education, Singapor























So I know it's been ages since I posted, and whilst my video of Gaby is loading on Blogger, I decided that I would finally write about what I had promised to write/focus on, which is, the topic of how the education systems differ in Singapore (MOE), and Queensland, Australia (EdQLD).

Unlike our rather small country Singapore (704 km²), Australia is massive (7,741,220 km²). The continent/country, therefore has to divide itself into it's eight different states/territories to make (I would assume) everything easier to manage. Most of the states have their own adminstrative government, and thus, have their own education systems.

So, here are some of the key differences between our education systems (in case you're thinking of your child's future education)

1. Education is compulsory for Singaporeans aged 6-15. For Queenslanders, it's from 6.5- 16 years of age.

2. In Singapore, kindergartens educate children who are in 'K1-K2', when they are 5-6 years old. In Australia, the term 'kindergarten' refers to the places 3-4 year olds go (much like our Nursery 1-2). This was initially the most confusing point for me when I first came here and expected to see 5-6 year olds in kindy. 5 year olds enter Prep in QLD schools, which refers to the year before Year 1 (Primary 1). This is optional for parents.

Basically, this means that all QLD-ers enter university at 18 years of age, some at 17 (if their birthday is late in the year). Thus resulting in some graduating with a degree at 21years of age. (Only for geniuses in Singapore)

3. Whilst most of our primary-secondary schools are government owned and regulated, about 50% of the high schools (secondary-JC) in QLD are privately owned. These schools tend to charge exhorbitant fees, but guarantee good education for your child. Their fees can average as much as $20,000 per annum. On the flip side, state education is free (but not highly sought after by the more picky parents)

4. I've seen teachers in QLD state schools wear berms and sports shoes for classes once (maybe it was just that male teacher). The rest of us know how strict the dress code for teachers in Singapore is!

5. One of the most interesting school events I've heard of is the 'Under Eights Day', where the school arranges for special events, carnival activities and fun stuff for children who are under 8 attending that school! One mum told me that it was a way to let the 6-8 year olds feel special whilst they were the youngest (and possibly smallest) in schools. For us? I guess we have our 1st October CHILDRENS DAY!! LALALALA

But the Aussie version has face painting, jumping castles and whole works... Whereas we get to stuff ourselves with candy/sugar, and watch teachers perform funny things, haha...

6. THERE IS NO SCHOOL CANTEEN LIKE OURS (Ok this isn't exactly a difference between systems, rather, culture). I might have mentioned before that an observation I made at a state school was that there wasn't the usual massive canteen with 100 benches and tables.
Typical singaporean school canteen


And there weren't the 8-10 stalls like we are accustomed to back in Singapore. Rather, there was a window much like that one in the picture with no signage whatsoever. The Aussie I asked then told me most kids eat their sandwiches on the grass or courtyard as a class with their teachers.

I've also seen the pricelist for a primary school here once, piang eh, sibei expensive.. Cheapest thing was probably the apple for 60cents. No wonder everyone packs meals to school and work!

Note to Singaporeans who are teachers: ENJOY YOUR 50 cent WANTAN MEE WHILE YOU CAN!!


Which brings my post to an end, because I should be fulfilling my last days as a student and doing some uni work instead of writing random things!

:)