Friday, April 19, 2013

Drawing Happiness From Others

When I often scroll through people's status updates, picture uploads, comments and unashamed exclamations of how fantastic/crummy/emo/yummy their lives are, there are always a couple of things that will make me smile to myself like a bemused old grandma looking at her grand kids photos.

One thing that always makes me smile, is when I see someone I know whom I experienced some period of my life with (i.e. secondary school or primary school mates), announcing an engagement. Marriage and weddings are always happy events in my heart, they're full of those 'aweee' moments, and I love seeing that these people I once knew who were once immature kids (like myself), were taking the next step in life and progressing. I find it even more depressing when you are surrounded by depressed people. And seeing other people move forward should only encourage you to move forward too.
 
 What makes me smile even more, is when they announce that they've received a HDB flat (because it's just so darn bloody hard to get a flat in Singapore, I think these guys deserve all the congratulations and celebrations they can get.

Another thing that ALWAYS makes me smile, is when someone I know who has been chasing/courting someone else finally gets attached to the person they've been after! It's almost like watching a real life rom-com (without the rom-com details) don't you think? Where it gets to that ending and you go 'Awwwww....'

I love it even more so when I see young mums, or peers who go on to have kids. Well, actually to be honest that one is a bit of a mixed emotion, we all know why. I see way to many kids with crappy parents at this point of time I don't understand how these adults can be so superficial.


Another thing I feel really happy seeing is people succeeding when our education system had made them out to fail. For instance, that kid who was in the bottom class and who now holds a university degree from an overseas uni. I love seeing the underdogs rise, and love it even more that they are able to fight the stereotypes Singapore may have unknowingly imposed on them. Who cares if it's an overseas degree, it's still a tertiary education.

I think it's mainly seeing people that I have (sort of) grown up with, having seen them as children, or angsty teenagers, or emo adolescents and then now, seeing them grow up and enter the world as adults, ready to take on and care for the next generation.

It's progress that makes me happy. :)

3 comments:

oakleyses said...

polo ralph lauren outlet online, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, burberry pas cher, tiffany jewelry, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin, sac longchamp pas cher, christian louboutin uk, longchamp outlet, jordan shoes, kate spade outlet, christian louboutin outlet, louboutin pas cher, polo outlet, ray ban sunglasses, air max, tory burch outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, jordan pas cher, ugg boots, uggs on sale, nike free run, oakley sunglasses wholesale, gucci handbags, nike outlet, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, tiffany and co, prada outlet, replica watches, ray ban sunglasses, nike roshe, longchamp pas cher, ugg boots, louis vuitton outlet, prada handbags, longchamp outlet, replica watches, nike air max, longchamp outlet, nike free, nike air max, louis vuitton, louis vuitton outlet, polo ralph lauren, michael kors pas cher, christian louboutin shoes

oakleyses said...

converse outlet, herve leger, hollister clothing, lululemon, valentino shoes, oakley, vans, nike air max, bottega veneta, soccer jerseys, mont blanc pens, wedding dresses, vans outlet, celine handbags, nike huaraches, north face outlet, insanity workout, ray ban, mcm handbags, baseball bats, hollister, instyler, p90x workout, ghd hair, nike trainers uk, chi flat iron, iphone cases, nfl jerseys, mac cosmetics, nike roshe run, gucci, babyliss, nike air max, soccer shoes, asics running shoes, beats by dre, north face outlet, ferragamo shoes, converse, abercrombie and fitch, hermes belt, hollister, reebok outlet, new balance shoes, ralph lauren, longchamp uk, jimmy choo outlet, lancel, timberland boots, louboutin

oakleyses said...

canada goose outlet, pandora uk, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, karen millen uk, toms shoes, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, ugg uk, moncler uk, louis vuitton, montre pas cher, wedding dresses, canada goose, pandora jewelry, moncler, canada goose outlet, juicy couture outlet, moncler, canada goose, canada goose, moncler, louis vuitton, canada goose uk, ugg, moncler, hollister, thomas sabo, moncler outlet, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, ugg pas cher, coach outlet, pandora jewelry, replica watches, swarovski crystal, supra shoes, louis vuitton, moncler outlet, swarovski, links of london, canada goose outlet, juicy couture outlet, marc jacobs, doudoune moncler, canada goose jackets, pandora charms