Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Wong Fu Productions

Have you ever heard of Wong Fu Productions?


Wong Fu Productions is an independant filmaking company based in California, USA. Comprising of 3 Asian Americans Philip Wang, Ted Fu and Wesley Chan, these 3 young men have made themselves not only massive on Youtube, but have also had their works featured at a number of national and international film festivals, including the Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival, San Diego Asian Film Festival and the Cannes Film Festival. ( Now I just stole that last line from Wiki, which brings up another point, they've actually been Wiki-fied)

I personally love the insight Philip Wang has when he makes his films. If you have a look at their website (both on youtube as well as the main website), you'll see just what a wide array and variety of short films they've made. From the arty-farty-no-words-or-actors-just-music films, to the downright jackass-ish ones where Phillip provides endless 'advice' on how to get the girl, as well as many Vlogs.



I personally found their recent feature 'short film' to be beautifully, well, I won't say it's beautiful, that's just too vague, more like, poignantly written and executed. Sometimes I'm still amazed that a guy could come up with such insight (not to sound sexist), but we know how femalse are supposedly more in-tuned with or feelings (yadayadayada), but I reckon I wouldn't have been able to organise the progress of a relationship that clearly, accurately and poetically.

Acting might not be the best point of their productions ( I must admit they've had their share of not-so-talented-people), and the script sometimes can be a little.. iff-y, but filmography and cinematography I find to be amazing. (For stuff being shot on a DSLR, it makes it look so easy).

If you do have time, have a look at this film: These Four Walls (one of the arty-farty-no-words-no-actors film by Wesley)

http://wongfuproductions.com/WFvideos/2011/01/these-four-walls/

And then take a look at the video on how the 'special effects' were made. It made me realise the ingenuity and creativity film-makers (in general) need to possess (and most likely do). Sometimes I wish I was even half as blessed with their talent!

This week, I mainly felt that WongFu has served to be my source of comfort and entertainment all-in-one just because of the variety which they offer. (They even design and sell their own T-shirts). Girls, if you're ever feeling all emo-y and need a video to go all sappy on, go to WongFu. If you need a cheering up or a brain break from studying, go to WongFu. If you're tired and sick of life, GO AND SLEEP LA.




No comments: