Monday, October 23, 2006

Hua Yu Cool! >.<

Jing ran wo men de hua yu kao shi kuai yao dao le, wo jiu jue ding ba jing tian yong han you pin yin lai xie wo de 'post'.

Haha, kidding. You'd have to pay me a million bucks for me to continue! I don't abhore Mandarin, I'd be lying if I said I did because for one, I'm serving in a Chinese Ministry. Secondly, I'm in the Chinese Orchestra, so how can I say I hate Chinese when I've chosen to be constantly surrounded by it? Well, not really chose, having Mandarin lessons 4 days a week definitely isn't my choice.

I actually envy those who are extremely well-versed in Mandarin and I really do feel embarresed when I'm unable to articulate myself properly in the language. Honestly, there is nothing to be proud of if you take CLB or are 'suck' at Mandarin. We are afterall, Chinese and should be proud of our language.

It's not a matter of English being a supposedly more 'high class' language, being English-educated doesn't necessarily put you at the top of the food chain. Why there are plenty of people who come from decent and even admirable Chinese backgrounds. Mandarin just happens to be their first language. I often find myself nit-picking at people's pronounciation and usage of the English Language. Soon I find myself trying to hide my own terrible pronounciation and erroneous usage of Mandarin.

Here's the main point, being inarticulate and incompetant in ANY language is nothing to be proud of. If you want to use it, use it well and don't flaunt what you don't have.

And no this entry isn't directed at anyone. =) CHingchingchCHingCHing!!

No comments: