Thursday, August 09, 2007

Singapore!

The fireworks yesterday were completely overwhelming and fantastic! All right, I know they were nothing compared to the recent Festival of Fireworks, but to someone who hasn't had a good view of fireworks ever since her primary school days, watching fireworks explode a few hundred metres away(all right maybe more) is way better than seeing them pop pathetically on a TV screen. So what if I was blocked by the roof of the food court or had the lights reflecting off the windows into my face, the view was great and being able to enjoy it in the comfort of the air-conditioned food court just rocked. Somehow the enjoyment level of everything is elevated when you're comfortable and others are standing and squeezing in the heat outside. (muahaha)

However, what really completed the mood of National Day was the sight of Singaporeans gathering in their typical Kiasu fashion, looking awe-struck at every single plane, spark or birdthat appeared in the skyline as if they were aliens. Some may scoff our 'Swaku-ness' and jeer at the uncouth and uncultured behaviour of many, and as much as I do not condone that, it is this blatant honesty and unabashed attitude we all portray that makes everything feel like home.

I love the children who screamed with each pop of the fireworks (even though there wasn't much to scream about)
I love the way we all WAH-ed unglamly with each burst of light.
I love the auntie behind us who kept saying 'hip siong! hip siong!' (take photo! take photo!)
I love the way everyone would shout in excitement point each time there was a slight movement in the sky (which looked pretty amusing!)
I love the way people so shamelessly reserve tables with their puny tissue packets (Some would have seen my tissue packet which says 'Chope' on the front, I'll take a picture next time!)
I love our retardedly absurd lingo, terms like:

I Chope!
Must kiap the paper leh.
Why you kop my fishball!
He's damn imba la! ( I recently discovered it's coined from 'imbalance')

Haha...I love this country!

No comments: