Sunday, March 02, 2008

I'm sure most of you would know of artists such as the planet shakers or the parachuters or something like that. They're bands which belong to a genre quite different-Worship bands who have made it darn big. Frankly speaking, coming from a Presbyterian church, (supposedly one of the most conservative denominations of all Christians) I find myself note very fond of these songs. If you don't know what I'm talking about, think of it as mainstream pop songs or love ballads with the object of affection changed to God. Ok we're not talking about songs like My Hump of course. (Those aren't considered music in the first place) I find it slightly disturbing when I hear a song that would probably sound like it's coming from BoysIIMen rather than from the worship leader on stage. It all becomes a performance and it really makes me feel uncomfortable. Sometimes I can't say for sure why I don't feel right when I hear these hillsongs/new age christian songs, it's just feels weird that religion has turned into something so mainstream looking, just like how people don the cross for fun. Remember the recent booboo made by Topshop? They started selling products which were pretty funny yet offensive at the same time. Go read the newspapers la.

Anyways, give this song a listen. I think it's a brilliant song, but as I said, because it's one of those modern Christian songs, it's feels weird.


No comments: