Monday, January 07, 2008

Thinking...

Something which I haven't been doing much lately. However, I do feel that my current job does require me to do much more thinking than many other admin jobs my friends are doing. I've heard of one who's paid $7/hour to stick labels on nametags or something along that line. Man does that sound like NS clerical work or what.

Having joined the service industry, even though it has been a mere couple of weeks, has increased my empathy level and awareness but quite a fair bit. Some people ask me why I bother 'stooping' to do such a low paying and strenuous (we walk A LOT ok) job when with a pre-A-level cert you could be sitting comfortable in an office chair sticking labels/calling aunties/licking stamps/writing cheques all for a much higher pay. For one, I think it's an industry that requires much more brain and skill than admin work, I think these people should be paid much much more. Anyways, the F&B industry is something we all encounter daily, whether it's in the kopitiam or a posh restaurant. Face it, we eat everyday and it's nice to know what some places do to your food before you get it. I've always found an inclination towards behind-the-scenes things. The process of preperation catches my attention way more than the end product. Plus, I get to learn how to open bottles of wine! However I must admit that being constantly surrounded by drinkers and smokers isn't exactly the most pleasant thing, especially when you've got a sensitive nose. And knowing that with a protective and conservative mum like mine who's bred us to have a now natural disinterest or aversion towards alcohol, this would be a good opportunity to learn about the different poisons people put into their bodies. Gin, rum, vodka, whisky.. the list goes on and on and now, I finally know the difference between them! Well, not taste wise, but the technical side of alcohol at least.

Oh well then, I'm sleepy and we're having the nice-to-sleep weather now. =)

No comments: