Monday, June 27, 2011

The Five People You Meet in Heaven

 Once again I will be relocating in the month of July, which brings about a huge array of feelings; excitement of getting a new place to call home once again, yet the sadness of leaving a place I've already settled in and a housemate whom I've lived with for longer than anyone (apart from family) and gone through many nights of nonsense talk, heart to heart talks, baking binges, exploratory cooking sessions, and sometimes, mindless chasing around the house on wheely chairs (we never grow up).


I've always loved the book 'The Five People You Meet in Heaven' by Mitch Albom. It's one of my all time favourite books because it allows you to think back and reflect upon the people in your life without actually explicitly asking you to do so.


Here's a brief summary of the book for the people who don't know it: This guy dies right, and when he's in heaven , he meets someone who he thinks is a complete stranger. But then soon realises that this particular character and him have once crossed paths long ago, and something simple that the character had done had actually had a huge impact on his life even though he didn't realise it. And so he goes on toe meet 4 other people who have unknown to the man, actually had great influence on his life.


This makes me think, who would the 5 people I meet in heaven be? (If I would in the first place, of course).


I think Siyi (my current hosuemate) would be one of them. For one, because of her, my entire family now knows the joys of eating leek, which is something none of us ever dreamt of buying! And I now put potato chips in the fridge sometimes because they taste better chilled (go and try if you haven't, they actually do taste way better!).

We unknowingly pick up a lot of habits and views from the people around us, absorbing this like a sponge. I'm sure many of us know how advertisers prey on the accessibility of the human mind using all their subliminal messages to get what they want from consumers who so willingly fall into their trap. And I suppose sometimes it's this malleability and adaptability which allows us all to survive in the social world. Some may call it giving in to peer pressure, others may call it the 'herd mentality' when they're trying to prove that they're all different and unique from the rest of the world. But really, I call it subconscious survival.  

No comments: